I feel like there should be some really wise words that I have to share on this first blog post.  I don’t really have any that feel particularly eloquent.  And all my “wise” thoughts that I have while walking seem to disappear when I try to put them into words on paper.

So let me jump right in to the point!


This summer I will walk the Camino de Santiago, the Way of St. James.  It is an ancient pilgrimage route across Spain.  Each day will consist of lots of walking.  Besides that, I’m hoping for lots of good conversation time with God, and good conversations with the other pilgrims I meet. And that’s pretty much it.


There are generally two reactions that I get from people when I tell them what I’m doing.  One is approval – anything ranging from jealousy from people who want to go themselves, to excitement on my behalf from others.


The second one is more like shock.  “You’re doing what?!” isn’t uncommon to hear.  I realize that this vacation is a little unorthodox.  In fact, I would suppose that my own emotions run to excitement 90% of the time, while the other 10% is what on earth am I thinking?  I’m not really an outdoorsy sort of person.  Camping is my idea of one of the worst kinds of vacations a person can take.  And now I find myself researching backpacks and hiking boots from MEC, and taking really long walks to train.


Not to mention, I’m going alone.  I won’t have anyone else to drag me along, pull me out of bed, talk me into walking just five more kilometres.  I don’t have guaranteed companionship and conversation.  A small part of me is tempted to be plagued with self-doubt. What if I don’t make any friends? What if I get injured? What if I hate it… and keep hating it all summer long? What if I feel like my relationship with God is stagnating, instead of being deep and rich and meaningful? What if….


Today in The Banner I read, “Above all, Jesus is called ‘The Way’, which denotes walking with, a relationship. Experiencing changed circumstances is an invitation to get to know him better. He says, ‘I stand at the door and knock.’ The image is of our opening the door of our hearts to him so that he can spend time with us, as one does with a friend over a meal.”


That, above all, is what I hope for this summer.  To walk with Jesus, getting to know him better.


2 Corinthians 5:7 – For we walk by faith, not by sight. 

3 thoughts on “In Which a Girl Timidly Plans a Pilgrimage

  1. I did the Camino last year and it was fantastic! Although, I think it’s better if you go with someone. It’s safer and you can also have your conversation time with God. You don’t have to camp. There are many albergues (hostels) with a low cost (5€ per night).

    1. Thanks, Edu! I thought I remembered having seen pictures of the Camino on your Facebook last year (although I was guessing, since my Portuguese is not so good!). Did you walk the Portuguese way?
      I am heading out on my own to Spain, but I am hoping and praying that God will provide people to walk and talk with!

      1. Yes, I did de portuguese way.
        Maybe next time I’ll do (part of) the french way.
        Hey, if you pass by Lisbon, give me a call 😉

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s